December 29, 2012

Things we shouldn’t have to endure

I heard about what happened to you
and it was as though
I had swallowed tar
boiling hot thick
I cover my mouth
but I have already tasted
the impossible things they did to you

today you died
while people fill the streets in your country
like water that has been dammed too long

they chant for justice
claw at the sky
and perhaps it will make a difference this time
your face will crawl from the floor of that bus
onto our eyeballs
and we will no longer
pretend we are blind

but the whole time they said
you were fighting for your life
mostly I hoped
you had stopped fighting
as soon as they dug
their darkness into you

that a latch opened
on your soul
a safety-valve made for things
we shouldn’t have to endure

that you floated away
right then
face up to the warm sky
ears coated in a gentle song
the angels reserve
for their own.

Previous Poem
Next Poem

12 comments / Add Yours

Your poem opened my soul and allowed my tears to flow.

Thank you for your poems…for breathing relief and hope into our ache for these tragedies that normal speaking can’t hold well at all.
Thank you also for giving this angel a “safety- valve” on her soul with a latch that opened to set her free. Your words– I am believing– gave it to her right then and there, because–I believe– prayerful words like these have the power to reach backwards as well as forwards in time.
Last thank you… thank you for being an honest and vulnerable poet in a slick and all to confident, bumper sticker world.

This atrocity is beyond our comprehension and yet it continues and is tolerated in that country. May the good Lord bring the perpetrators back as women to experience the same. Justice certainly demands this.

You spoke for all of us Samantha. And so eloquently too. This incident has outraged many. Hopefully this one horrific incident has made many people think and demand a change in our system. And hopefully this young girl, who fought to live, will at last find peace and vengeance.

Oh, Samantha. I hope this too. Thank you for giving words to my achy wish. xo

Yes, this brought tears for me too, thank you Samantha for so beautifully capturing it, such an awful thing to happen. I hope that she had floated away too, and did not have to endure it…

thank you for this. I have been deeply affected by this. thank you. I live in hope that this is now a tipping point for change as I think of the many many women who have had similar experiences but have been shut down and shamed.

You eloquently state what many of us feel and think. The terror that poor young woman suffered is not to be tolerated. As you stated, I do hope she lost consciousness before the worst of the torture. The body and the mind each have their own breaking points.
The fact that not a single person tried to intervene on her behalf speaks loudly of a woman’s position in the society. Thank you!

“…swallowed tar boiling hot thick…” that is it, exactly. The heat of my rage, and the fuel of righteous retribution, was at once quelled by the horror that stops my heart as the tar hardens and sickens my soul. May beautiful thoughts and loving wishes follow her soul for eternity. Thanks for your words.

Speechless. Thank you for truth, so eloquently spoken.

Thank you Samantha. I have been haunted, haunted, haunted by this event.

I’ve read this many times and each time it brought tears to my eyes.